We have always heard our moms saying “Never skip your breakfast”. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and it prepares you to perform different activities throughout the day. It basically acts as a fuel for your body. But sometimes, you don’t feel like eating anything in the morning. This makes you feel lazy throughout the day.
A head start for your heart
According to a lot of studies, eating healthy breakfast can help you lose some weight, and due to this, it has amazing effects on your cardiovascular health too. Cardiologist Arthur Agatston, MD, Prevention advisor and author of The South Beach Diet Books explains how. He says that people who tend to skip their breakfast tend to have all the risk factors that contribute towards heart diseases; high insulin levels, high cholesterol and larger waist circumferences.
Agatston further says that not any breakfast helps you lower the chances of these issues. You must be eating healthy food to stay healthy. He says that the best breakfast is which contains some lean protein and fiber that helps balance your sugar levels and keeps you full at least until midmorning, when you should eat your first healthy snack of the day.
Here are 8 delicious breakfast recipes that are very healthy for your body and contain all the nutrients that your body needs for a good heart health.
1. Low Fat Frittata with Smoked Salmon and Scallions
Salmon is a very rich source of omega-3 fatty acids that we all know are beneficial for our body. It also contains a good amount of Selenium, which is an antioxidant that is known to protect your heart. You can eat this salmon frittata with some multigrain toast so you can get a good amount of fiber as well.
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 scallions (whites and 2″ of green), trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 6 egg whites
- 4 whole eggs
- ½ tsp dried tarragon or 1½ tsp fresh, minced
- ¼ c cold water
- 2 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon, cut into ½” wide pieces
- ½ c chopped fresh basil, arugula, or spinach (garnish)
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Take an 8” ovenproof sauté pan and heat it for one minute, spray some cooking spray at the bottom of the pan, add some oil and heat for around 20 seconds.
3. Add the scallions in it and sauté; keep on stirring with a spatula periodically until they turn soft.
4. Take a medium sized bowl and whisk egg whites, tarragon, water, and salt and black pepper to taste in it.
5. Pour this mixture into the pan, top it with salmon pieces and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring periodically.
6. Put this in the oven and cook for 6-8 minutes until the color changes to golden and it gets firm and puffed.
7. Dish it out using a spatula, making sure that none of it is left in the pan. You can serve it in a warm serving platter, garnished with fresh basil.
Nutrition: There are 96 calories, 10 g protein, 2 g carbs, 0.4 g fiber, 5.4 g fat, 1.3 g saturated fat and 373 mg sodium in one serving.